About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Poor little dragon

She looks like a little dragon with the medicine vaporizing out (too bad the camera didn't catch it).

As many of you know, The Noodle has been receiving speech therapy since late last winter. She has made huge gains, especially since the late summer, when everything seemed to start "clicking" for her. Our state provides early intervention for children up until the age of 3, but once they turn 3, it becomes the local school district's responsibility to meet the child's needs, if they continue to qualify. Knowing all this, we went through the evaluation process and had her meeting to determine the test results last week. Going into the meeting I had my doubts as to whether she would qualify. Sure enough we found out she didn't. While most parents would be thrilled with this news, I have mixed feelings. Not that I wanted her to be identified as a preschooler with a speech disability, but she still has quite a ways to go, especially when you hear other almost-3 year olds talking. The special education teacher in me certainly sees where the gaps are. Going into the meeting however, my prayer had been that the Lord's will would be done: whether that meant her qualifying or not and so I trust that He is in control and knows what is best for her. I have no doubts that once she starts nursery school in January (2 days a week for 2 hours/day), we'll see another huge jump in speech and language. There's also the option of private speech, which I think we'll probably utilize at some point in time too. So, all in all, the news was good. She really has come so far. It is amazing when you think about it really. What a Noodle :)

1 comment:

David,Lois,Austin, Darrell & Leila said...

I understand having mixed feelings, but it's a good thing that she's come SO far in such a short amount of time. That's great!