About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Advent Chain Day 11--Bake cranberry walnut bread





Over Thanksgiving, I decided to try a new recipe: cranberry walnut bread. I had recently bought some whole wheat flour and attempted to make the bread recipe on the back of the K*ng Arth*r sack but it turned out HORRIBLY. While it was a no-knead recipe, the yeast I used must not have been right because it didn't rise at all. In fact after I had cooked it the 90 minutes that the directions said, it didn't look much different from when I first put it in...and when I stuck a fork in it, it was still somewhat raw. I let it cook awhile longer, but then gave up. Also, the recipe called for powdered milk so I of course went out and bought some. Now I have quite a bit left...anyone have any ideas what to do with powdered milk? Yuck. When I found the cranberry recipe, I saw that it called for whole wheat flour and thought I'd give it a try. It ended up being really delicious. Much better than that whole wheat, raw brick from earlier!

I usually bake soda breads and hand those out at Christmas time, but I think I'll definitely add this to the repetoire. They freeze nicely and I always wish I had more on hand, so I thought we'd better get a jump start on production. As always, I had a great little helper who was more than ready to dump, stir, sprinkle and mix. I think they turned out pretty nicely, don't you?

No comments: