About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blueberry pickin'


We woke up to cooler temperatures today and so we decided to go pick blueberries. My helper was a champ--she was spotting the little blue berries like nobody's business! My clumsy hands kept picking and dropping them, but her's held on tight and expertly dropped them into the bucket. Last year when we went, she wasn't nearly as discerning and many a green berry made it into our stash. Not this year. She would exclaim "Ohh! Look at this beauty." or "How's this one for blue?" or "I bet this one tastes super sweet!"

Look how serious she is!


As the time passed, she started to flag and began to find more interest in "examining" the berries. I should be more exact--she was having fun scooping them out of her basket into mine and then back again. Transferring is a good early childhood skill, isn't it?!



I had deliberately held off on letting her eat any because I knew once she started, she wouldn't want to quit. Boy, was I right! She had gotten rather quite and had gone off to a different bush...when I turned around, she was hiding among the leaves, poking the blueberries with a branch and sucking out the insides before she popped them into her mouth (an unusual strategy I'd say, but it was obviously working for her!). Quiet as a mouse she was. When I asked her about it, she said "I'm just having some tasters", which is what we say when we go to C*stco and they are handing out goodies to try. Ha ha ha :)

A mouthful of blueberries!


When I had filled up the bucket (8 lbs!) and it was time to go, I couldn't get her to leave--she was like a kid in a candy store. "More, more, more!" she kept saying. I guess, all in all, blueberries aren't a bad vice to indulge in, right?!

1 comment:

Debbie Sauer said...

Looks like she did a great job with the blueblerries. When my grandkids pick strawberries, they eat more than gets in the bucket.Blessings.