About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Bok Choy recipe


I have a vegetarian cookbook that I really like. Tasty, simple, diverse. I found the recipe for Bean Sprouts and Bok Choy there. While we are not vegetarian, it really appeals to me from a health perspective, so we try and eat 3-4 non-meat meals a week. I do have to watch it, however, because my dear hubby DOES like his meat. I often find him skulking around the kitchen, about an hour and a half after dinner, saying that he feels a bit "peckish" since the main course was just veggies. Sigh. All that being said, I decided to throw a chicken breast into the wok with the veggies to appease him last night. Interestingly enough, during dinner, the Noodle stated "No chicken" and then spit out the piece in her mouth. Anyway, all in all the meal was a hit with all 3 of us...flavorful, colorful, crunchy and most importantly quick! Here it is:

Enough oil to saute everything in a large pan or wok
3 scallions (I used the garlic scamps plus a small onion)
2 garlic cloves, cut into slivers (I just used a big ol' dollop of minced garlic)
1-in. cube of fresh ginger cut into slivers (powdered ginger)
(chicken)
carrots--cut into smaller pieces
bean sprouts
bok choy, shredded
handful of cashew nuts and almonds

Sauce:
3 T light soy sauce
2 T dry sherry
1 T sesame oil
2/3 C cold water
1 t cornstarch
1 t honey
fresh ground pepper

Stir fry the chicken, garlic, onions, ginger, carrots; add the bean sprouts and stir/toss together; add bok choy and nuts until leaves are just wilting; add sauce into wok and voila!

There was lots of yummy sauce, so you could serve it with rice, or Asian noodles (rice noodles, etc.) if you wanted. Enjoy!

No comments: