About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

CSA last week in Aug.

J and the Noodle went to pick up our veggies this week.  In our "single" share, we got:  a honeydew melon, beets, a yellow/green pepper, 2 Hungarian peppers, lettuce, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and basil.  In my post last week I was feeling at a lost as to what to do w/the okra that we received, so I called Nana.  Her suggestion was to saute onion, garlic, and the okra together and then add some tomatoes, corn and rice.  I had some fresh corn that I cooked and cut off the cob and threw that in as well as some yellow tomatoes from our garden.  I rounded it out with brown rice, a can of diced tomatoes (more for the juice than anything else) and a generous sprinkling of oregano and S and P.  Threw it all together in a casserole dish and topped with Panko breadcrumbs.  Cooked it for about 35 min. at 350 until nice and bubbly.  J and I thought it was good.  The Noodle turned her nose up at it--even the lure of rice didn't entice her.  Too bad...she went hungry since she only ate a few bites.  That's how we roll here--if you don't eat what you've been served (or at least attempt/try it) you'll probably starve be hungry until the next meal. 

So...if you're looking to try something new, give the okra (or ogre as my uncle affectionately called it) a chance.  You might be surprised!

No comments: