About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Monday, January 11, 2010

What's cookin'?

When I think of cold, snowy January, my mind frequently wanders to the warming pleasures of soup. Many a night finds us filling our bellies with some sort of liquid nourishment. I thought I'd share one of our favorites: Fisherman's Stew from this book

1 onion
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 1/4C fish stock
approx 12 scallops
1 lb cod fillet (or any kind of white, flake fish)
2T olive oil
1 large potato
fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
1 red and 1 green bell pepper
1/2C white wine
1C creme fraiche (I use plain yogurt)
approx 10 oz raw shrimp
3/4C grated sharp cheddar cheese
S and P to taste

** Tr*der Joe's has a frozen seafood blend (that is easy to use in this soup)
*** Sometimes I will add 1/2 lb. of hot sausage to give it a little kick

Cut the cod into large cubes, season w/ S and P and set aside. Cut onion into small wedges, heat olive oil in large pan and cook onion wedges for about 2-3 minutes. Slice potato and add to pan w/chopped thyme. Cover and cook for about 15 min. until the potato has softened. Dice the peppers and add to onion/potato mixture and cook for a few minutes. Stir in the fish stock, wine and creme fraiche/plain yogurt. Bring to just below boiling point then add cod and scallops. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes, until all the seafood is cooked. Season as necessary. Spoon into bowls and garnish w/thyme sprigs and sprinkle w/cheese.

Eat and enjoy!

No comments: