About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Busy but fun weekend

Some weekends are nice and relaxing, where you can just hang and chill.  Others are filled a whirlwind of activities.  This past weekend was a busy one!
Saturday morning Mei Mei and I went to a little Bible class for her where she got her very own Bible and a Bible bag.  She was so excited!!  When her name was called to come up and receive it, she marched up there with her arms outstretched and then ran back to my lap to show me.  It brought tears to my eyes to see her get so pumped about her Bible.  I hope that her love for the Lord stays strong!
While we were at church, J was working on the dining room floor.  Once he had ripped up the carpet, we had planned on refinishing the wood floor--it had looked like it was in great shape and so we were all set to go.  Come to find out that under one spot, at some point in the 90+ years of the house's life, plywood had been put down and so we couldn't refinish it.  On to plan B--painting the floor with white so that it would have a nice "porch-y" feel to it, since the dining room had, at one time, been a porch.  That didn't work either because even with primer and outside, porch grade paint, these strange streaks kept coming through.
Grrrr...on to plan C--to put down an entire new floor and since we had planned on doing the kitchen floor at some point as well, to just do it all together so that the floors would be cohesive.  We had also hoped to replace the windows in the dining room this fall, but that certainly isn't going to happen now after this floor debacle.

Anywhoo, J was busy installing and the Noodle decided to get creative with the massive amounts of cardboard that was being generated and make a fort.  Clearly J is the "cool" parent because I would have adamantly  gently discouraged quite such an elaborate design...Ha!  I guess we're a good balance :)
After lunch, the Noodle and I went to go hear author/illustrator Marc Brown (of the Arthur books) speak at a local library.  Her name had been picked because of her involvement in the summer reading program through our county library.  He was very funny and even read to us a sneak peek story from his yet to be published book that is coming out next year--shhhhh!
By Saturday night, J was still busy working away but getting close to completing the kitchen.
He had ripped out the existing floor and unearthed a floor that I hadn't seen for years!
I sat on the chair and talked to him, sipped my wine and worked on these--
I've never really been a decorator for fall, but this year thought I'd try a few things out.  Do you decorate for fall?

No comments: