About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

The morning

It is no secret that I am a morning person.  Always have been.  Even in college, I was the one who was usually in bed by 11:30-midnight (early by college standards) while everyone else in my house was up until 1:30-2:00 a.m.  I was also the annoying one who usually signed up for early morning classes that most everyone else steered clear of.  Ha!

I've always worked out first thing in the morning (even back in the day) and generally start to shut down around 9:00 p.m.  But...I've also always been a napper.  Power naps mind you, but even 10 minutes is enough to revive me.  Most times I don't even set an alarm.
Anyhoo, each morning, after we've dropped The Noodle off at the bus, Mei Mei and I have settled into a nice little routine--we take a stroll around the neighborhood.  It is beautiful around here early in the morning! We look for squirrels, chimpmunks and watch the birds (sounds like I'm pushing 80 when I write that, doesn't it?!).  We count how many rabbits we can spot.  We take time to just enjoy being outside and glory in the wonder that God has blessed us with.
There is something so soothing about the early morning.  The light.  The water.  The sounds.  I'm trying to stop and be intentional about appreciating the beauty around me.  It is no secret that as we get older, we tend to appreciate things more.  I know that's certainly true with me.  When I was growing up, I never gave a second thought to how fortunate I was to live so close to the Lake and to have it (literally) right in my front yard.  Now I see if for the blessing that it is.
I also know that we are so fortunate that I can take this time off from teaching to be at home.  I don't want to waste any minute of it!  As we walk, I allow myself to pray--giving thanks and praising God for his provisions.

This song, You're Beautiful by Phil Wickman, always comes to mind:
                                         

No comments: