About Me

My photo
I love to laugh and love with my family, read, exercise, cook and sew, all the while giving thanks to God for his immeasureable love and faithfulness to me.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Vintage Silver Succulent Planters

It seems that I'm usually behind the eight ball when it comes to trends.  Something will hit it big, but it will take me quite a while to finally come around to it.  Are you at all like that?

Take succulents, for example....I never was interested.  Thought they were rather, well, blah.  But then, I started seeing them pop up all over the web, especially Pinterest.  Hmmmm, interesting.  Perhaps I could see some potential?  Then I saw them paired with vintage silver.  Now I was definitely interested!

Then, it finally struck me.  Duh.  All that silver plate upstairs in the attic leftover from my parent's wedding--the perfect containers for those little guys!
First step?  Pull out all of the pieces and then clean up the silver, just a bit, since that tarnish adds a bit of patina and interest.

Next, I added some little pebbles for extra drainage.  Succulents are similar to cactus in that they like well drained soil and need very little watering.  They were located right next to each other at the garden store.
After I filled the bottom with the pebbles I added some special soil specifically for succulents.  See above.
Finally, I played around with the pairings until I found a good variation of leaves and color and then popped them into the containers and filled in with the extra soil. 
I love how they turned out!  Now they are sitting up in "the treehouse" (what the Noodle calls our office/craft room because of the trees) in a sunny window.  We're working feverishly to get a few projects finished (another one that uses some of the silver trays) because we're having some family over next weekend.  Perhaps I'll even get some pictures up of another completed room......................
To see another project that used some leftover silver, see here.  Lollie was thrilled to hear that her silver was given new life and wasn't languishing anymore up in the attic.  Ha!

No comments: